By nature I would say that I am a night out. Going to bed early is extremely difficult for me and waking up in the morning is something that I generally do not like to do.
I have survived on an average of 4 to 6 hours of sleep my entire life. When I sleep eight hours or more I generally wake up tired, sluggish, and not ready for the day. However, if I sleep anywhere from 5 to 6 hours, I tend to wake up with an extreme amount of energy and I feel better. I guess my body’s just different than most.
Up until July 2015 my sleep schedule usually looked kind of like this… I would go to bed around 3 AM to 5 AM and I would wake up anywhere from 8 AM to 10 AM.
However, I was starting to notice that late at night I was becoming extremely unproductive. I was tired and sluggish finding myself just staring at my monitors, usually watching YouTube videos or wasting time in some other way. One of the reasons I enjoyed staying up late was because I was extremely productive during the night. That changed.
So, after the Fourth of July weekend of 2015 I decided to start waking up early. I had a goal of waking up between 5 AM and 6 AM and going to sleep between 9 AM and 11 AM.
Generally speaking I have pretty much stuck to that schedule. Sometimes I go to bed a little bit later and sometimes I wake up a little bit later. However, I have generally woken up pretty darned early.
And I have to admit… I am really enjoying it.
Here Is Six Reasons I Really Enjoy Waking up Early Lately…
1. I’m Extremely Productive – If I am going to actually set an alarm clock and wake up early, I am going to get stuff done if I do. I do not enjoy waking up at 5 o’clock in the morning. However if I wake up at 5 o’clock in the morning I better do it for a reason. So my productivity has gone through the roof.
2. Alone Time – My entire family is obviously asleep at 5 AM. When I was staying up late I was still alone, but here’s the difference…. When you’re waking up early the day is new. It is a new lease on life. It is a new adventure waiting for you. It is a new chance to do amazing things. And there’s something pretty exhilarating when you can wake up and take a little bit of time to meditate, pray and prepare for the day ahead of you. It has really helped with my positivity and mood starting out today.
3. No Distractions – Your day can easily be sucked away from you because of distractions. Your wife need you to do this, your kid needs to go here, your coworker needs help with this, your boss needs you to do that. The list goes on and on and on. Distractions generally fill our day. The great thing about waking up earlier than everyone else is that everyone else is asleep. They can’t bother you. That’s actually one of the reasons why I enjoyed working late at night as well.
4. It Makes the Day Longer – No it doesn’t. That’s a lie. It does not in any way make the day longer. However, for some reason I feel like my days are longer when I’m waking up earlier. However, it is actually the opposite. I am now getting in between six and seven hours of sleep every single night. So technically my day has shortened on average by about two hours. But for some reason, I feel like the day is longer. Mind games 🙂
5. Coffee – I’ve never actually understood the obsession with coffee. I’ve never been a coffee drinker. Up until I was almost 36, July 2014 to be exact, I could count on one hand how many cups of coffee I had had. I just didn’t like it. Then my daughter was born… And through necessity I became a coffee drinker 🙂 however, I now look forward to my morning cup of Joe.
6. I Make More Money – At the Time of this post I have a relatively new company. It is a company that helps small businesses extend their reach online through video, images and social media. At the time of this post I have been waking up early for almost 2 months. And my new company has had two of its best months. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. I think waking up early and getting more sleep has been a major factor in my success last two months.
This is a habit that I will continue. Not because I have to get up at 5 o’clock in the morning, because I want to. It helps me get more done, which in turn allows me to accomplish more of my goals. We only get one chance at life and I want to make the absolute most out of this life.
So, if getting up at 5 AM is going to help me accomplish the goal of living an amazing life… Well, I’m going to do just that.
Oh yeah, there is one other thing I did not mention, but that’s for the next blog post. It’s about a morning routine.
If you liked the article make sure you share it and get subscribed to our newsletter. That way we can send you a link whenever an awesome new article appears 🙂